Friday, October 13, 2017

Santiago de Compostela

Today was my day to 'be' in Santiago.  In part I needed to take care of some practical things, primarily make arrangements for going to Madrid. 

I started the day in the line-up to get my final stamp in my Pilgrim's passport and my certificate of completion. I got there 10 minutes before the office opened and had only a 45 minute wait! 

Then I enjoyed a relaxed buffet breakfast at the hotel and had about an hour to take care of business before heading to the cathedral for the pilgrim's mass at noon- definitely the highlight of the day!!

I arrived just as the church bells chimed 11. 

Already there was a line-up, but it moved fairly quickly and I was inside by 11:15. 

Already the pews were full and the line-up to hug the apostle wound it's way around the cathedral. I did not stand in line. 


Instead I found a little spot on the floor against a pillar and sat down to wait for the mass to start.  

And then another Angel showed up. Just before the mass was to start, I felt a tap on my shoulder and I was invited to sit on a nearby pew by a man in a white beard. He spoke English but I don't know where he was from.  "At least you can see now" he whispered to me. And indeed I could. I was now in the center of the bank of pews with a clear view of the alter to the side and directly under the path of the much anticipated 'botafumeiro' 



And indeed, once it got going, I had to bend backwards to see it as it swung overhead. It was amazing. I have a video but don't know how to post it at the moment. This is a picture from when it was just beginning 


The music and singing were beautiful, and what I could understand of the proceedings the messaging was welcoming, inclusive and encouraging of pilgrims carrying on their 'Camino de la Vida," their Camino of life. It was a most lovely finale to the camino. 

My Angel slipped out after communion before the mass ended so I never got the chance to thank him properly or to find out how he came to have an extra space to share and why he shared it with me instead of all the others who did not have a seat. He had whispered something to the effect of "God chose you from the masses" so all I can conclude is that he was indeed an angel 🙂. 

After mass, I met Antonio for lunch for a final meal together before he caught his plane back to Lisbon. We met at a restaurant called...Botafumeiro!!


After, I wandered around for a while enjoying the old town sight seeing and doing a bit of shopping. 




It's unusually busy. Apparently, there are five times more tourists here than is usual for October. The weather has been uncharacteristically warm and has brought out more Spanish Pilgrims. Yesterday was also Spain's national holiday (like Canada Day) which means people had a holiday. Despite the crowds, I have enjoyed my day soaking up the environment. 

Early tomorrow I will catch a train to Madrid and will have the afternoon and evening to visit that city before catching my flight home on Sunday morning.  It's been good to have a day to transition from pilgrim to tourist.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day! Thank heavens for Angels. ACB

Anonymous said...

Safe and happy travels dear one. M