Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Day 5: Viana do Castelo - Rest Day

I decided not to walk today. Not for any physical reason. Mentally, I just wasn't prepared to get up and go right away after falling into bed when we got here last night. Contributing factors were the fact the forecast was for a very hot sunny 28 degree day plus, according to the German guide book, this is supposed to be one of the more interesting towns along the Portuguese Camino. 

I lingered over breakfast to wish my companions from yesterday a good Camino then I puttered around for a while.  My roommate last night, Claudia from Germany, is also taking a day off   She is planning to take a train this evening to her next stop. We decided to explore the town together. 


A lovely small old church in the town


A very impressive modern church/monument atop the hill overlooking the town. 


A fun street 


A long relaxing lunch in the shade. 


Smoked sausage and egg - where are the veggies???

My roommates from Fao were also taking a day of rest and we ran into them at the church. After lunch we all went our separate ways for a while and then I met up with the girls for a late supper. We will walk together tomorrow, at least part of the way. 

It was good to stop and breathe for a day. I have only one more day in Portugal and then I will be crossing into Spain. My Camino is coming to its half way point. 

1 comment:

ACB29 said...

Good for you my friend to enjoy the journey! Stopping along the way when you need, enjoying time with newly made friends and fellow travellers! Looks to be beautiful in the locations you are making your way through.