The last bunch of pilgrims enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in Casa de Rosa and we left together shortly after 9am, with hugs and kisses from Rosa!
We soon spread out as people had very different paces. Eventually though, Antonio and I found ourselves walking together again and we continued together all day.
There are so many more Pilgrims now. The Seaside route joined the Coastal Route a while back and now the Coastal Route has joined the Central Route. This is the more common route and is clearly very busy! It is not uncommon to have several small groups or single pilgrims within sight.
I feel like a real Pilgrim now that I have a walking stick and a shell (which I bought from Rosa). At a couple of places along the way people have left shells with their intentions. I kept mine!!
I did not take many pictures today. Antonio and I were deep in conversation imagining how he could turn his grandmother's house into an Albergue. It is just 50 meter off the Camino Coastal in northern Portugal and has been empty for years. I offered my services to help him get it started!! I figure an alternative is to rent it for a month or so next summer. Anyone want to join me?
We arrived in Pontevedra around 3 but it took us an hour to find a place to stay. We passed the large Albergue that is located as you enter the city in favour of something more central. Turns out many places were full. Eventually we found a room in a pension - again a little more expensive than an Albergue but very homey and comfortable. I'm not sure what his wife thinks about him sharing a room with an older foreign woman!😊
After getting cleaned up we went in search of something to eat. It is difficult even for a Portuguese person to work with the late hours the Spanish have. What I love about this time when normally we would be eating supper, is that this is when families come out into the streets to walk, talk and play. People eat tapas, drink beer and take their dogs for walks and the children run around like crazy. There is a lot of noise and energy in the streets; people of all ages are out and about. It's just delightful.
We also found some fun things to entertain us while we waited for the restaurants to open.
4 comments:
Looks/reads like you are having a great trip thus far! The people and places look/read wonderfully! I am so glad you have your passport -- you are lucky to have had two angels! :-)
Do I want to join you for a month in Portugal next year....hmmmmmmmYES! lol It sounds so delightful:) Oh the many things I'd love to see in Portugal!
It's wonderful you have had such a mix of solitary walking versus companioned walking. I suspect with the increase in traffic that you won't find as much of that solitude from here on. I can hardly wait to hear all the stories you haven't had time to tell on your your blog!
Blessings on you and all those you meet on your way!
Love & hugs, M
What is the meaning of the shells? Are these something you pick up along the way or are you to leave behind or??? The giant purple smiling face -- hmm? A story to tell?
It's good to hear of the good company, chats and evenings you're having. Carol : )
Post a Comment