Monday, October 2, 2017

Day 4: Fao to Viana do Castelo

I'm not sure how to describe this day; it would take multiple posts to capture the richness of the experience over the 11 hours of walking. That's right 11 hours! I left the youth hostel in Fao at 10:00am and checked into the one here in Viana do Castelo shortly after 9pm. I think I covered about 31.5 kms. I was wiped and so today's post is a day late. 

If you do the calculations, you'll realize I wasn't travelling very fast. What I gave up in speed, I gained in camaraderie. Very shortly after leaving the hostel I caught up to two pilgrims who I had met over breakfast- Juan from Uruguay and Pavel from Czech Republic- I walked with them all day. Both had walked different Caminos before and they had just met the day earlier. 

Both are characters worthy of their own posts but in a nutshell, Juan is passionate about flowers and photography and people and fruit...so there was always something to stop and admire or sample or someone to chat up. I realized how much I just don't see and appreciated the opportunity to see through his eyes. Pavel is bubbly, smiley and optimistic always with an interesting story to tell. Between the two of them, I was always entertained. And they were both very considerate and kind and I found myself relaxing into the pace of the day confident in their leadership. 

We played leap frog for part of the day with three young German boys (early 20's) who also had had breakfast with us. This is their first Camino and they were showing signs of many of the common challenges I have heard about. We finished the last 15 kms or so with them. 


The route took us through many villages, 


through wooded areas,

 
along country roads 


And most memorably across a river on the oldest bridge along the Camino. 

Here we stopped for about an hour. I soaked  my feet in the water, both Juan and Pavel went for a swim. We met a group of locals going for a walk. Juan and one of the men instantly got into deep conversation- leading one of the women to say it was like brothers meeting! By the time they went on their way, we all got kisses and hugs and best wishes for our Camino. 

It was dark by the time we arrived  in Viana do Castelo and all of us newbies were on our very last reserves. "Down the hill and across the bridge" was all we had left to go. 

It had to be the world's longest bridge!! When we finally got to the other side and the Albergue that is located just next to it - the Albergue was closed. Fortunately the youth hostel was close by and we finally were able to call it a day. 

There was no supper for me. A shower and bed was all I wanted. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy....what an amazing day! Thinking of you walking in sunshine....it's a "Winnie the Pooh" kind of blustery day here today.
M

MeckelborgFarm said...

WHAAAAT? I'm half Czech, Pavel is Czech for Paul, my brother's name is Paul, and he wants to walk the Camino too!!!! Incredibly auspicious Amy, a definite sign that this trip was so meant to happen !
Keep on trucking girl :)
Love nima