Friday, September 29, 2017

Day Two: Matosinhos to Vila do Conde


Today was a boardwalk day and the first day of a more significant walk - 22 kms. Boy can I feel it!

I breakfasted with a veteran pilgrim from Germany making her way south to Fatima to celebrate having done the Camino in one form or another over the past 10 years.  I left the hostel shortly after 9 and made my way across the bridge to the tourist information centre where a very friendly woman gave me specific directions and maps to guide me along the route. Interestingly, both of these women asked me to remember them when I get to Santiago. 


It was very easy to find my way- essentially follow the boardwalk!


Sunny and warm with a dusting of clouds and a gentle ocean breeze made for very pleasant walking. And today I was able to enjoy the view of the ocean.

I encountered only an occasional person or two - many walking their dog which made me miss my little Riley. I only saw about a dozen other Pilgrims throughout the day. 

About 7kms from Vila do Conde I met Christine, a doctor from Germany and we walked the rest of the way together. It turns out she had booked a room with two single beds in an albergue, so I have joined her for the evening. Gratefully, we are both feeling similarly humbled by the day's walk. We are tired and sore but no blisters or hot spots on the feet! If we can get out of bed in the morning, we should be able to walk again. 

The way tomorrow is not clear and I'm too tired to sort it out tonight. We will see what tomorrow brings. 

4 comments:

MeckelborgFarm said...

Hey Ames! Duane and I read your first two entries with excited interest, awe, and envy. We're curious about what the approximate weight of your backpack is. Loving the pictures that give us a good idea of your whereabouts - so beautiful! Please post a picture of your shoes as we are also curious about your gear. And we want more details about food. What does Spanish bacon taste like Duane wonders... happy trails xxoo

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you have met a few pilgrims to share stories and walk with. Today sounded like a lovely day all in all! I was talking to Audrey this morning and she told me our cousin David (from Virginia) is also walking the Camino right now - apparently in Spain at the moment.
Hot and sunny here today with no ocean breezes unfortunately...lol. Rest well. May you waken with happy feet!
Love & hugs, M

Amy said...

Thanks for the comments. Mona, does Audrey know when David will be in Santiago? It would've cool to meet him there!

Duane- no bacon so far! But lots of lovely white bread with ham and cheese!! Not a lot of vegetables. Yummy fish and potatoes though. I will remember to take more good pictures!

Amy said...

Haha. That will teach me not to post first thing in the morning before my coffee - I will take more FOOD pictures!