It is fitting that I begin my Camino by remembering my father. In part, my Camino was precipitated by his passing last year at this time, not to mention the fact that he is footing the bill for it!
I wanted something that would serve as a remembrance of him. Rather than purchase something, however, it seemed to me that having a memorable experience would be more enduring and meaningful. For many, walking the Camino is a life changing experience. I don't know if that will be the case for me, but I'm pretty sure it will be memorable.
So, with just three days to go before I catch my plane to Madrid, I made a quick trip to Saskatoon over the weekend to join some of my family in a small gathering to commemorate the one year anniversary of his passing. It was a cool and overcast day but the sharing of stories, laughter and Dad's favourite foods left us feeling warm and grateful.
As I walk the Camino, I will be remembering my father.

1 comment:
What a wonderful thought to keep with you as you wander the trail, Amy. Your Dad's gift has been transformed into a new journey and adventure in your life! "Dad, your guiding hand will remain on my shoulder forever." anonymous.
Post a Comment