I was at the cathedral when the 11am mass began. I stayed just long enough to feel that my Camino had been properly blessed and then, once I had my first stamp in my Camino passport, I headed on my way.
Having debated taking the metro out of Porto to avoid walking for hours through the city, I decided to walk but along the river to the ocean, which I'd heard was a pleasant alternative. Turns out I had heard correctly. Although there was a fairly busy road along side for most of the way, the walkway along the water's edge was wide and peaceful.
As I got to the mouth of the river, I found the ocean to be covered in fog. It stayed that way all day. The day was warm - a balmy 21 degrees - but clammy. At times I felt like I was walking through clouds.
I'm not sure how far this route actually is; somewhere between 12 and 15 km I think. I arrived in Matosinhos shortly after 2 and with the help of the tourist info ladies, found my way quickly to the hostel I had booked for the night, a very well appointed private hostel.
After a shower, laundry and a brief rest I headed out for a walk around town and to find somewhere to eat. Grilled fish is the thing to do apparently, so that's what I had. Sardines to be specific. Very tasty, but I do wish they'd remove the heads!
I'm looking forward to a longer walk tomorrow and one that takes me out of the city. I have yet to meet anyone else doing the Camino. I'm sure they are around but with so many tourists, it's hard to spot them.
2 comments:
Looking at the start of your trip -- looks wonderful (minus the fish heads). I am going to continue reading... and I hope I don't find any blister photos!
Sounds like a great start!! Carol : )
Post a Comment