Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 2 - Nairobi

Supper last night was as good as it smelled and included home-made soup followed by roasted potatoes, fried fish and vegetables ... really the best food I've ever had. The cook's name is Dimitrius and he'll be thecook during our safari too so we'll be fed like queens!

After supper I took a walk around the grounds and discovered aloe vera plants are common here (which may be handy if I forget to apply my sunscreen). Lidia, our hostess, joined me for hile and showed me a large tree containing a massive birds nest. Sadly, the birds were not in, but are apparently still around and I'm hopeful I'll see them before we leave.

After finally getting up and mobile today (it was my turn to sleep this morning!) we embarked on our great a
dventure to the giraffe centre, about a 10 minute drive from Rock House. On the way we spotted the local wildlife - a large herd of goats being driven along the road (with one mama goat and her tiny baby lagging behind) and further along a herd of cattle, including one of the beautiful tan ones seen in the documentaries. It didn't matter to me that they were domesticated - I felt as excited as if they were wild animals!


Once at the giraffe centre we fed the the female giraffe (who never seemed to tire of the pellets we were feeding her) and involved lots of licking and slobbering with the famous giraffe tongue. There were people there who placed the pellets in their own mouths and endured "kissing" the giraffe, but I'm not all that partial to giraffe slobber (and apparently neither is Amy!) While feeding the giraffe I was able to examine the head and facial features and discovered they really do have lashes that go on forever, and beautiful soft eyes to go with them.

That wasn't the end of our site seeing today, but I'll leave the last half of our day away for Amy...




2 comments:

Carol said...

So excited to read your emails and posts...Good for you two in taking the time you need to sleep so that your time in Africa is seen from well-rested and appreciative eyes. Meals sound delish! Hopefully makes up for two meals a day (-: Love hearing about the sights and I'm with you Vivian -- even those domesticated animals have something mysterious about them because they are in somewhere else than where I come from. Amy, Chaya barks hi and that she wishes you had left someone with her who was more proficient about medicine giving and bootie attachments (in three days I've lost 3 booties somewhere on our walks).. Love you both as you head off your first safari -- the sights, the sounds, the memories!

Anonymous said...

well Viv, fish down - grubs to go :)
hug an animal or an acacia tree for me hey? xoxo j'nette