Friday, February 25, 2011

Arrival in Kenya

We're here! It feels and smells just like a tropical country should. I can't appreciate it fully because I am so tired, but once I adjust and recover from the two-day trip, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it here.

We left Edmonton on Wednesday at 6:00 pm. We started off our trip with a bang by almost missing our flight. We were at the airport in plenty of time and were relaxing with a good cup of coffee when we heard our names over the loudspeaker - paging us with a last call for boarding. It was a harried start to the trip but after that, things settled down.

We sat in the exit row on the 8 hour flight to London so we had extra leg room, which made Vivian particularly happy. We didn't have time to go all the way into London within the time we had between flights so after transferring terminals and storing our bags, we took the tube and randomly chose a station not too far along the Picadillly line. We chose well. We found a pedestrian shopping area and were able to take care of a few last purchases. We really wanted to lie down on the grass somewhere and stretch out our tired bodies but we found the park too late and had to return to the airport, not wanting to miss our next flight!

A short flight took us from Heathrow to Amsterdam where we had just enough time to transfer to the flight for Nairobi. We weren't so lucky with our seats on this leg of the journey and the plane was packed so it was a less comfortable flight. By this time however, I was not having trouble sleeping and basically slept most of the way.

I will leave it at that for now. and will leave it up to Vivian to post about our first day in Kenya.

2 comments:

Mona said...

Yeah....you made it! Thank you for letting us know you arrived safe and sound. Looking forward to reading about your first impressions.

It 's too bad you're missing the best of a North of North American February whilst you're basking under the equatorial sun....the balmy -49C wind chill that greeted Saskatonians this morning was rather bracing! Almost inspirational! LOL!

Hugs to you both!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing all your exciting adventures!!!
A. Phyl