When I was about to purchase my airline tickets back in July, I got the jitters about being able to manage the physical demands of the Camino - which I understand to be walking an average of 20 km/day. I hadn't been training as much as I had hoped. A wise friend helped me to realize that, although I may not be as prepared or as physically fit as I'd like to be, I will manage with whatever I can do. I do not need to complete the route in the way that others do. In fact, I don't even need to complete it. Or, I can take buses along the way if I want. Some would say that would mean I wasn't a true pilgrim; that's probably true.
So I bought my tickets but still I was only halfheartedly preparing. Then I started reading a book by Joyce Rupp called Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons From the Camino. One of her early chapters is about being prepared and how the preparation is as important as the journey itself. Reading this chapter helped kick-start more serious training on my part, and at the beginning of August I committed to walking every day with a goal of walking 10 km.
So I bought my tickets but still I was only halfheartedly preparing. Then I started reading a book by Joyce Rupp called Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons From the Camino. One of her early chapters is about being prepared and how the preparation is as important as the journey itself. Reading this chapter helped kick-start more serious training on my part, and at the beginning of August I committed to walking every day with a goal of walking 10 km.
I'm happy to say that I have walked 22 of the 27 days so far this month. It hasn't been 10 km a day but I have managed about half the time to cover between 7 and 11 kms. For many of these walks, I've been accompanied by my little dog, Riley, who is quite happy to run along with me as long as it's not too hot, too steep or too fast!
Walking these distances takes time. In the beginning it felt like one more thing to squeeze into my day and strike off my list. Recently though, I have had a sense of appreciation for the walking itself. The physical, emotional and spiritual gifts I get from walking are coming back to me and making it more about walking and less about training. Heart pumping and blood coursing through my body helps me feel physically alive. The meditative nature of a long walk provides ample opportunity for my mind to first grapple with all the issues of the day and then to slow down to more reflective and what I think of as more meaningful thoughts. Eventually, I am able to return to the present moment, to appreciate the wonderful river valley trail, the warmth of the sun, the coolness of the shade, the companionship of my dog and the comfort of good boots. I feel gratitude for the abundance in my life, of health, of wealth, of time, of opportunity, and I know that all is well!
3 comments:
Your walks sound wonderful! Has anybody ever told you, you write well? I look forward to following you on your journey:)! M
Ah my dear friend, Amy. Your world travelling inspires me - I remember shortly after you watched The Way the first time, you shared how you were touched by the journey made by the characters and intrigued by seeing more of the World on foot yourself. So happy for you that you committed to doing this for yourself. I look forward to continuing to read as you move towards your goal of walking, of having an adventure. "When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there’s no other way to preserve it.” – Shauna Niequist ...acb
I will be thinking of you Carol as I search for the yellow arrows!! What will I do without your sense of direction to keep me on the right path?
I love that quote! I hope I have time to post to the blog as one way to share and preserve the experience.
Post a Comment