Friday, December 11, 2009

the Maya in the Mayan Riviera

Our last full day! It was not a work day. Today we got up early and went on a day-long tour of Coba, a smaller, less developed Mayan ruin than Chichen Itza. It was hot, hot, hot. The sweat was dripping into my eyes and stinging and as you know, I usually only glow.

It was one of the best tours I have been on. We started at the archeological site itself at the largest pyramid where we were able to climb to the top. Only 5% of this Mayan city has been cleared and they still allow visitors to walk on the ruins. The climb up was a bit strenuous as the steps were very uneven and many required bigger steps than my short legs could easily stretch. Coming down was a bit unnerving as it was very steep, but both Kim and I were able to manage without coming down on our rear ends.

We had some time to explore some of the other buildings that have been unearthed before going for lunch at a local restaurant. Our guide said there were alligators in the water across the road but we didn't see any.

We were then taken to a Mayan village where current day Mayan decendents live and work in support of the tourism industry. I was reminded a lot of my stay in Costa Rica almost 30 years ago. We had a brief stop at the cooperative where they sell their handicrafts before heading to our last activity of the day - a refreshing dip in the cenote.

We are tired but want to hang on to this last evening of what has been a wonderful holiday. I just can't imagine being in -40 degree weather tomorrow evening at this time.

No comments: