Saturday, September 14, 2019

Fundraising for Cuso International


I have officially launched my Cuso Challenge 2020 fundraising campaign! My Challenge Page is at connect.cusointernational.org/goto/Amy . The Donate Now button allows people to make a donation towards my fundraising commitment.

I have committed to raising $4,000 for Cuso International. I have never fundraised before so this seems like a pretty big challenge. It makes it a little easier that I am not asking for money to sponsor me. I am paying for my trip to Machu Picchu. The money raised all goes to Cuso.

Cuso International is primarily funded by the government of Canada through a matching agreement. The government matches every dollar raised 9 to 1. So, 90% of their funding comes from the government but only in proportion to what they raise themselves. What is great about this is that because of the matching, every dollar donated actually means Cuso gets $10. And $100 donation really means $1,000 for Cuso. I figure I only need 40 people to make a $100 donation to reach my goal - surely, I know 40 people who would be willing to donate - and that means Cuso actually gets $40,000! Not bad.

I am very comfortable endorsing Cuso International as a charitable organization.  I first heard about them as a young adult. Back then they were known as Canadian University Services Overseas (CUSO).  For almost 60 years, they have been sending skilled volunteers around the world, including indigenous communities in northern Canada, to work with local partners on projects that address poverty and inequality. Their strategic focus is on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, and on improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.

I'm not planning on doing any big events to raise the funds. I'd rather people took advantage of the charitable donations tax credit they'll get if they donate directly through my Challenge Page. I guess I will see how that goes and re-evaluate if necessary!

No comments: